Thursday, June 9, 2011

Demon Devices? Using Cellphones in the Classroom

Are cellphones really the enemy as many teachers and administrators make them out to be? I thought it was interesting that a video earlier in this unit discussed the fact that these devices are the dreams of yesterday and, now that they are here, we are yanking them from the hands of students. In a day where money is not properly dispersed for advances like technology in the classroom, the cellphone becomes an even more important tool to have around. We complain that students don't have computers. But, in fact, they do. They are the teeny rectangled contraption that we just took and sent down to the AP office. They can type on them, send emails, do research and collaborate with others. Why are we punishing them for doing so? Sure some students will be distracted by them and some will use them for social purposes. I hate to tell you this, even after you take the cell phone, the same student will find an alternate way to be distracted (perhaps by flinging paper into Tina's hair) or socialize (by hand signals across the room better than those in the major leagues).

I, personally, use cellphones in my journalism and Lotus Leaf classes. I encourage students to take pictures, text or call sources, and send me assignments. This is the most productive and relaxing time for me as a teacher as I can stop being a babysitter and teacher. Actually, I rather facilitate the learning and they are engaged and feel empowered. There are times, however, when I notice that a student blatently is using the device inappropriately. I simply take the cell phone then because I have already warned them against such things. They get upset but then are more likely to use it correctly the next time. The anger usually subsides when I explain that
I am treating them like adults as they have been asking for years for us to do more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment